Empty fstab after install

Hello,

After a net install I ended up with an apparently fully operational system. But my fstab file contains only:
   # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

I (normally) have / on /dev/sda2 and /boot on /dev/sda3. A "df" tells me that I have only /dev and /dev/shm mounted as tmpfs filesystems. I cannot configure grub, nor can I install a new kernel, because the /boot partition is not recognized. I do have a /boot directory containing kernel images, though (?).

Also, Grub as installed would not boot. I had to change hd(0, 0) to hd(0, 1) and root=/dev/hda1 to root=/dev/sda2.

Any ideas?

JJJ