nvidia drivers not working in linux-2.6.14

Hi friends,
I've just installed the new kernel as I heard (I think) it solved the
problems with smp in amd64 with the clock and everything went
completely normal  until i recompiled the nvidia module for this new
kernel to startx. it doesn't load the module saying telling me about
an inexpected symbol.
I followed the usual instructions:
- make-kpkg modules_image
- dpkg -i nvidia_blabla.deb
- (i even tried uninstalling the previous module although i was sure
it wasnt going to do any better)
- (i also tried reinstalling nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-dev)

and i didn't make it. does anyone know a solution?

thank you

trango