Re: udev & hotplug

Giacomo Mulas wrote:

Almost. Late versions of udev include hotplug support. The only problem I
had is that this changed the order in which things got started at boot. In
particular, I need to load a few modules in a well defined order at boot,
and I have the listed in /etc/modules for that reason. In the previous
setup, the order in which module-loading init scripts got run was: udev
first, then modutils/module-init-tools, then hotplug. In this way, modules listed in /etc/modules had precedence over those loaded by hotplug and all was ok for me. After the upgrade, hotplug merged with udev, and its modules got loaded when the udev startup script was executed, _before_ the ones in /etc/modules. Gosh. It drove me crazy for a while to understand
what was wrong with my system. All I had to do was copy module-init-tools
to firstmodule-init-tools, change one line in it to have it parse "/etc/firstmodules" instead of /etc/modules, make a link in /etc/rcS.d which
comes before udev.

Hi

You could also edit udev config to omit the modules...
so that they are loaded by module-init-tools again...

yours
Albert