Re: udev & hotplug

Hi Karl.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Karl Hoppel wrote:

apt-get wants to remove hotplug to install the latest version
of udev.  Is this okay to do?

Almost. Late versions of udev include hotplug support. The only problem I
had is that this changed the order in which things got started at boot. In
particular, I need to load a few modules in a well defined order at boot,
and I have the listed in /etc/modules for that reason. In the previous
setup, the order in which module-loading init scripts got run was: udev
first, then modutils/module-init-tools, then hotplug. In this way, modules
listed in /etc/modules had precedence over those loaded by hotplug and all was ok for me. After the upgrade, hotplug merged with udev, and its modules got loaded when the udev startup script was executed, _before_
the ones in /etc/modules. Gosh. It drove me crazy for a while to understand
what was wrong with my system. All I had to do was copy module-init-tools
to firstmodule-init-tools, change one line in it to have it parse "/etc/firstmodules" instead of /etc/modules, make a link in /etc/rcS.d which
comes before udev.

The bottom line is that unless you have a particular setup (as I do) you will be fine. But hey, this is unstable, you are supposed to be able
to track down and fix such things, aren't you? :)

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.