Firefox won't start unless mozilla is open?

Hey all,

I am running a combination of SID and SARGE. Ever since I installed the AMD64 system I have had problems with Firefox 1.0.7 and Thunderbird 1.0.7. At first it would take 5-24 attempts to open Firefox before I could evenually get it open. I would have to keep killing it with pkill firefox-bin before the next attempt. I finally discovered that if I opened Mozilla up first then I would have a better chance of opening firefox afterwards. For example, my machine has been up for 3 days without a reboot and hence, firefox has been open for a while. I closed firefox and tried to reopen it. Nothing happened
until I opened Mozilla and then Firefox opened immediately!

Any ideas? Sounds like something may not be linked properly (I am no expert!)?

Same problem with Thunderbird but I have not found a work-around to it. I just keep trying to open it until
it eventually does open (5-12 attempts usually).

Lance