Re: 32-Bit module in AMD64-kernel ?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:31:22PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 01:25:49PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> > I have a wlan-card, type "ipw-2100". It is possible to build a kernel module
> > for 64bit-amd64-kernel. The problem is, the firmware is not working, as the
> > firmware is 32-bit. A 32-bit-kernel (tested with knoppix, kantix and whax)
> > works fine with the same firmware.
>
> The firmware shouldn't care about 32 or 64 bit. The firmware runs on
> the wireless card, not on the host CPU.

Some of the wireless drivers consist of an open-source wrapper plus a
precompiled object, which does run on the host CPU and therefore does
matter. (Similar situation to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.)
madwifi (for Atheros chips) is an example, though I don't think
that applies in the Intel case.

Hamish