Re: problems with custom kernel: no init?

On 04:58 Mon 24 Oct     , Sam Quigley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making the transition back to Debian after a few years using Gentoo, and I'm
> having a problem getting my custom-built kernel to boot.  Basically, the problem
> is that with my custom kernels (2.6.13.4 and 2.6.13-ck8), everything goes fine
> until the point where init is supposed to take over -- at that point, nothing
> happens.  No error message, no panic, no nothing.  The last few things displayed
> onscreen are some messages about my mouse being recognized, and that /selinux/
> wasn't found -- which are the same as the messages I get when booting
> (successfully) with a Debian stock kernel.

Looking at the dmesg from your Debian kernel 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 shows:

devfs: 2004-01-31 Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options: 0x0

The new custom kernel config does not have DEVFS (its deprecated) and
since you were using Gentoo you probably used UDEV. In any case its
a good idea to use UDEV for creating /dev nodes.

So boot the Debian kernel and apt-get install udev.