Re: Installing Debian over another distribution

Jean-Jacques de Jong schrieb:

> I noticed that you can install Debian over another distribution when
> using existing partitions. Apparently the home directories are then
> moved into / while all other directories are erased. However, does the
> installer do this also with /usr/local? On the machine I tested, I had
> no data in /usr/local, so I didn't notice.

The home directories are not moved. The installer will, if you choose
to, create a new file system on the partitions you install to, thus
erasing all data on them. If you don´t have a seperate partition mounted
on /home but have /home directly on /, /home will be erased when you let
the installer make a new FS on / --- which you should do to get rid of
existing files from the old distribution.

You can keep /home if you have it on a seperate partition and tell the
installer to mount that partition as /home and to keep the existing
data. You can do the same for /usr/local.

GH