Re: libc6 & ia32-libs

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:50:08AM -0700, Zachary Rizer wrote:
> I'm unaware of this LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 'thingy', what is
> it?
>
> And, to the other comment about libc being 'too new'
> or 'too old' is there a way to figure out which it is,
> and how to fix it?

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html

It tells libc that this application is 'broken' and did things it wasn't
supposed to and to please emmulate the 'broken' behaviour this
application relies on.

Doing a search for LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and quake, I found a message
suggesting doing:

bash# LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 quake3program

Apparently it doesn't get along with native posix threads.

Of course if it is released as open source by now, then you could
probably just recompile it and solve the problem that way.  Or fix it
and recompile it if it really was a bug in the code.