Re: eth0 down after upgrade

Hi Craig,

> I have had lots of problems doing an apt-get dist-upgrade since last
> week. Now my network connection doesn't work. Before the apt-get
> upgrade I was using eth0 to connect to a DSL modem/router while the
> wireless interface (ra0) was disconnected. Now I find out that the
> computer is using ra0, eth0 is inactive and I can't find out why or
> how to activate eth0.
>
> Has there been any recently upgraded packages that would have screwed
> up my network configuration?
>
> When I try to active eth0 (from the GUI admin) it fails saying that it
> is not set up properly. Huh? Everything WAS set up properly a week
> ago.
>
> I can use the internet now via the ra0 interface. Also my webserver is
> running, telnet and sshd are running as normal. However, I cannot
> access these servers from any other machine - not even from the local
> network (from a wireless laptop, using the local ip for access).

sounds interesting, but please tell me more. One hint in advance. Use
the new driver for your Ralink wireless card. Then ra0 changes to eth1.
Now, please paste /etc/network/interfaces.

Do you use a router or just a DSL modem?

Can you manually start your eth0 device? Try (supposing your network is
192.168.1.0:
ifconfig ra0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 and then ping your router.

Greetings, Tobias