eth0 down after upgrade

Hi,

I have had lots of problems doing an apt-get dist-upgrade since last
week. Now my network connection doesn't work. Before the apt-get
upgrade I was using eth0 to connect to a DSL modem/router while the
wireless interface (ra0) was disconnected. Now I find out that the
computer is using ra0, eth0 is inactive and I can't find out why or
how to activate eth0.

Has there been any recently upgraded packages that would have screwed
up my network configuration?

When I try to active eth0 (from the GUI admin) it fails saying that it
is not set up properly. Huh? Everything WAS set up properly a week
ago.

I can use the internet now via the ra0 interface. Also my webserver is
running, telnet and sshd are running as normal. However, I cannot
access these servers from any other machine - not even from the local
network (from a wireless laptop, using the local ip for access).

I have no idea what happened here or what to try next. I would really
appreciate any advice for solving this problem.

Craig

NOTE:
the DSL modem/ router is functioning properly. I restarted it, tryed
it with another computer and everything is working the same as always.
My laptop can use either wireless or ethernet just fine. When I reboot
the debian box into windows it uses both the wireless and ethernet
interfaces OK.

IFCONFIG:
---------------
*note* it isn't showing an inet address

ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr
00-E0-18-00-00-86-89-0F-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

NETSTAT
netstat -i
Kernel Interface table
Iface   MTU Met   RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR    TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR Flg
eth0   1500 0         0      0      0      0        0      5      5      0 BMRU
lo    16436 0       538      0      0      0      538      0      0      0 LRU
ra0    1500 0   2203459      0      0      0  2458906    506    506      0 BMRU