Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>>>And what kernel does that version of ubuntu use and when was it
>>>released?
>>>

>>2.6.12...
>>

>Please compare apples with apples. You used a pre-release Ubuntu CD and
>compare it with a Debian version released months ago.
>
>Debian has kernel 2.6.12 now (though perhaps not in an installer image yet)
>which may fix your problems also.
>

>>Ubuntu seems to have *one* goal lacking in Debian (while present in the
>>Social Contract) : useability by end-users.
>>

>That's also an insult.

It's worth keeping in mind that Ubuntu is built on and refines Debian,
syncs with it before a new release, and could not possibly succeed
without Debian. It's not an alternative distribution, more like a new
flavor. On the other hand, the extra work they put into making the
distribution user-friendly should not be denied and opens up Debian to a
larger number of users. Their six-month release cycle ensures that
people can rely on an updated yet reasonably bugtested release, filling
the hole that has long existed between stable and unstable.

Still, it's interesting to consider Ubuntu's effect on the Debian
project. There may be some negatives; at least so far, the bugreporting
in Debian is far superior, but that doesn't mean the bugs get fixed. A
tighter coordination where Ubuntu really was an official flavor might be
better. I get the feeling the Debian project has become so large that
the systems put in place to ensure quality and universality end up less
sensitive to parts of the user base, notably non-developer desktop users
that need a recent but still stable installation. This is hopefully a
rapidly growing segment of Debian users and Ubuntu is helping in spades.

Dave