Re: CPU Frequency on default Sarge kernel

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 14:49, Eduardo Costa Lisboa wrote:
> I have a Compaq R3000. It is a Athlon64 3200+ processor, has steps of
> 800, 1600 and 2000 MHz.

I have the exact same laptop.  In order to use frequency scaling, the kernel
must support "ACPI processor p-states", which basically means that the kernel
uses ACPI to get information on the supported processor frequencies (this is
how Windoze does it).

Older kernels (< 2.6.9) required a patched version of the powernow_k8 module
in order to support this.  Newer kernels have this feature built in, so you
just have to make sure it is enabled in the kernel config.

Also, newer kernels have things like the alps touchpad code already included.
I'm currently running a custom 2.6.13 kernel, and everything is fine.

Email me off-list if you want my kernel config, etc.

cheers,

-Ted