Re: AMD64 System Becomes Unresponsive During Software RAID Synchronization

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:51:22AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> 2.6 kernels currently default to using up to 200M/s for resync.  This
> causes seriously painful disk access while this is taking place.
>
> I personally always drop it to 10 or 15M/sec so that I can still work on
> the system while it syncs the raid.  This is done like this:
>
> echo 10000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max
>
> System becomes responsive again and the resync only takes about twice as
> long or so.  It certainly takes longer.

Have you tried using an other I/O scheduler (like cfq or deadline) on
the affected drives? According to my experiences, the default
anticipatory scheduler is very bad interactivity-wise when there is
heavy disk activity. On the other hand, anticipatory gives much better
throughput than cfq, so you have to decide what do you need.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences