Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

Pointers are 64-bits in 64-bit mode.

The current generation AMD64 MMUs can only handle 64-bit pointers in
which the high-order 17 bits are all the same (40 bits of
information).

Software won't have to be re-written when AMD64 chips get larger MMUs, though.
(Of course, if the software is hard-coded to limit itself to 1/2 TB
user-space memory, it will still be limiting itself.)

-Karl