Re: Kernel compilation failure

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 12:13:26PM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> The first time I compiled the kernel on this new machine, it went
> fine.  But now, the compilation fails with an error like:
>
>  [...]
>    CC      drivers/char/rtc.mod.o
>    CC      drivers/char/watchdog/softdog.mod.o
>  make[2]: *** [drivers/char/rtc.mod.o] Error 139
>  make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>  make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eran/system/kernel/source/linux-source-2.6.12'
>  make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
>
> I've tried several kernel versions, debian source and vanilla.  The
> error seems to always occur after this status message:

You cut off way too much there.  It looks like the error occoured
somewhere above that, or got lost somehow.  Are you doing a
multithreaded compile (using -j) ?  If so try without it since at least
then the errors might be more obvious.  Also adding V=1 to the make
arguments makes it show all the compile steps rather than the short
forms.

Unfortunately the output you quoted just says something went wrong above
somewhere.