Re: Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 with 4GB memory missing memory??

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

Is there something special about running Debian Sarge 3.1 AMD64 on a
Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 with 4GB memory?
On boot, the motherboard reports 4096 MB memory (which is correct: I
have put it there myself ;-)) but Debian (top, gnome-system-monitor and
"cat /proc/meminfo") report 3734480 kB memory.
Does anyone know where my memory is?

This has something to do with your motherboard reserving memory (pci memory hole). You can normally change this in the bios (I think it was in Hammer configuration for the Tyan board I had). If I remember well, I set the hole to automatic and that solved the problem.

Regards,

Koen.