ASUS A8V Deluxe SATA problems

The A8V Deluxe has two SATA controllers on board: One VIA controller,
and one Promise controller. Both are "RAID" controllers, both are being
used in JBOD mode.

I have two Seagate ST3200826AS SATA drives. If I attach them to the
Promise controller, all is fine.

If I attach them to the VIA controller, using the same cables, etc., the
one on the "primary" port always fails with "scsi parity error." I can
swap the drives around (moving sdb to sda and vice versa) by changing
where the cable plugs into on the motherboard, and its always sda that
fails.

Any suggestions what this might be, other than a defective board?

  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST3200826AS       Rev: 3.03
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST3200826AS       Rev: 3.03
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05

0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA
RAID Co
ntroller (rev 80)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V Deluxe/K8V-X motherboard
        I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
        I/O ports at b800 [size=4]
        I/O ports at b400 [size=8]
        I/O ports at b000 [size=4]
        I/O ports at a800 [size=16]
        I/O ports at a400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

0000:00:08.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378
(FastTrak 37
8/SATA 378) (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8V Deluxe/PC-DL Deluxe motherboard
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=64]
        I/O ports at 9400 [size=16]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=128]
        Memory at fb900000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at fb800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]