Re: Heat problem with amd64 laptop

On Sunday 25 September 2005 10:47, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I note that all Acer 64bit notebooks now ship with the Turion processor
> which is designed for laptops which would suggest that there is an
> inherent flaw in putting the athlon chip in laptops.

This is simply not true- there are quite a few people (myself included)
running 64bit linux flavors on the Compaq Presario R3000 (mobile athlon64)
series alone.  I've never experienced overheating problems- and I frequently
do long compiles and image/video processing where the processor and fans are
peaked.

> I am prepared to
> try to claim Acer have sold me a laptop which is 'not fit for purpose'
> but they will claim that I'm not running their official software;
> however, it is worth a letter at least.

Sounds like either the laptop is a lemon, or there are problems with that
particular make/model.  I'll let others with similar hardware chime in...

> 2. is there a way, in software, to slow down the processor to make it
> run cooler?

You could use the cpu frequency modes in the kernel to force the processor to
always run slow- kind of defeats the purpose of a fast 64-bit processor
though ;-)

cheers,

-Ted