Re: Onboard raid controllers a problem?

On Friday 23 September 2005 12:43, Steve Dondley wrote:
> Thanks for all the useful advice.  One follow-up question: should I
> spring for a genunie hardware controller card?  Or is a Linux software
> RAID "good enough?"

Depends on your definition of "better".

Hardware raid does allow you to offload some processing from the main system
to the RAID card. However you need to bear in mind that volumes created with
a hardware raid card will only work with that type of card, so It's advisable
to have spare cards in case one dies. With Linux software raid the volumes
will work in any linux machine.

In terms of data integrity both should be equivalent, though make sure your
hardware card has battery backup.

Unless you know you need hadware RAID I generally recommend going with
software raid and spending the money you save on more memory, faster CPU, or
more disks :-)

Paul