You can check the use count from lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
nls_utf8                2432  0
it87                   29472  0
i2c_sensor              3712  1 it87
i2c_isa                 2688  0
i2c_dev                12288  0
powernow_k8            11088  0
freq_table              5192  1 powernow_k8
                             ^ This column

If the count is 0, it means the module is not being used, either because
the device it supplies isn't currently being used, or because you don't
need it.

This is useful info. Thanks.

Or with regards to the modules loaded in the initrd, change /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf to have the line
   MODULES=dep
instead of =[all,most] and then regenerate the initrd.
I actually had to do this on a Tyan Thunder K8W (S2885) in order to get it to mount /home on the sata controller at boot (LVM over Raid1). It would always complain of not being able to find any md devices when loading lvm.

I think this is because the sil3114 module was being loaded by hotplug later on in the boot process, long after disks are mounted.

to not add eth1394 I added this line into /etc/modprobe.conf :

install eth1394 /bin/true

I try to stay away from modprobe.conf because of the commemts at the top of the file, so I'm working with modutils.d and mkinitrd.conf

Marc DM