Re: Dupal Opteron on Sarge

Yes, I did say natively.  AMD really works overtime, and if I get a
Athon64, and Athlon XP of the same clock speed will run the programs
at the same speed if you could somehow remove the extra goodies from
the Athlon64, and ensure that the entire system was equal.  However,
you are generally going to get better performance from an Athlon64,
and I still reccommend a dual core Opteron, b/c in many ways it's like
getting two Opterons in one package.  God knows the bus speeds can
handle it.  And since the amd64 chips can natively run in 32 bit mode,
you don't really have to worry about whether your programs are 64 bit
or not, though you should by all means keep on the lookout for amd64
programs specifically for you, for that alleged 10% increase.  I can't
confirm that, nor can I deny, though I'm more inclined to believe it.