Re: hdparm not o.k. ?

Le 19.09.2005 19:04:20, Hans a écrit :
Hi folks,
I tried to improve my settings of the harddrive. These are the
original
settings:

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 195371568, start = 0

You see, dma is off. When trying to set this to on ( hdparm -d 1
/dev/hda), I
get this error:

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

[ ... ]

It seems that you have booted your system with ide-generic loaded instead of the module related to your chipset.

In your /etc/modules, you should have something like that:

via82cxxx
ide-generic

I use the via module to use the dma. ide-generic is needed for the cdrom to work. The modules should placed in this order.

If you use an initrd, you should have the requested module loaded in it.

Could it be a bug ??? Any clue ??

Best regards

Hans

Look at this, please.