Re: Dupal Opteron on Sarge

O.K I guess I have to take the risk that Lord Sauron will flame me for
what I say next ;-)

I would rather recommend you a 2xCPU MB instead of a single CPU MB
You will easily find many 2xCPU MB out there and you may want to consider
the following:

- most have only 32 bit PCI slots, look for 64 bit PCI slots and the max
bus speed (133mhz)
- server boards come (optional) with onboard scsi cards
- you may still find additionally 4xSATA & IDE on the same MB
- (optional) SCSI raid card
- (optional) server admin card

If you take this all into conclusion you will probably opt for the
S2882UG3NR or a similar board from another maker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151151 *no scsi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151152 * with scsi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=13-151-152-01.jpg%2C13-151-152-02.jpg%2C13-151-152-03.jpg%2C13-151-152-04.jpg%2C13-151-152-05.jpg&CurImage=13-151-152-02.jpg&Description=TYAN+S2882UG3NR-D+Dual+Socket+940+AMD+8131+Extended+ATX+Server+Motherboard+-+Retail

Note the scsi raid card socket (option), white and in the middle left)

Having the 64 bit pci bus also allows you to navigate real HEAVY loads
between scsi discs and the CPU & Memory.

Regarding CPU I would probably choose the 246 or 248 ($240-310) which are
slightly cheaper than the 252 and, lets face it, the CPU speed alone wont
really change so much on the systems performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103412
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103433

Another concern is the heat those CPU beasts produce (90W each). You may
want to find a cooler solution which doesnt grill you or the CPU and also
doesnt make you death. (I am sitting next to such a beast right now ;-)

Most cooling systems go up to the 246 or 248. Finding one for the 252
might be difficult. I had a hard time finding a cooler which would do his
job for the 248 while still allowing me to hear my own voice ;-).

I would invest the saved money (compared to the 252) into Memory or SCSI
and use the SATA for a backup solution. I prefer SCSI, as for me it has
shown to be reliable in the long run and still outperforms most SATA/IDE
setups.

Note that 2xCPU systems are not twice as fast as single CPU systems. The
SMP setup does have a bit of a overhead on your OS, so expect something
like 0,8x the speed of a single CPU system.

What the 2xCPU system gives you however, is the ability to handle heavy
load. It can handle obviously more requests than a single CPU system. It
will also take advantage of the hyperthreading bus *communication bus
between the CPUs.
This means that CPU1 can *borrow Memory from CPU2 if it is required for an
application.

For the case I would choose the CM Stacker. It does Unfortunately not
offer the redundant PS, but you can put 2x PS from the maker of your
choice. It wont be hot swabable, you will have to switch the plugs
yourself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119042

The design is also quite appealing I believe. If you do opt for the CM
Stacker make sure to get the Optional Cross floor fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800887011
It will make sure to get the heat out of the case, and that silently.

If you prefer to show off the case, there is also a sie window available
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999760

I hope that I could make some valid points to make your decision easier
for your next system.

The system above is more expensive than "Lord Saurons" setup but it adds a
lot of options and is really a sound system (not to say a beast ;-)

I usually buy the parts not all in one go, but as required.

Newegg as suggested by "Lord Sauron" does give a good service and I can
back him up with that.

I currently have 2 Opteron systems online which should be accessable for
the public.

1) 203.143.127.108
2) 203.143.127.98 (testing)
3) 203.143.127.99 (from October)

Do you have the possibility to take an opteron system for a testride ?
(You might find that some shops might let you try a system)

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com