Re: soundcard not detected by alsaconf

ive found that 2.6.11 is less stable. ie. using my cdrom causes a kernel oops

Dean

Yannick - Debian/Linux wrote:
Dean Hamstead a écrit :

i dont know if the drivers not supporting the hardware counts as a bug

i think its just new vendor id's and small changes to alsa, fairly normal stuff as new manufacturers ship the same basic chips.

Dean

you are the 4th person in this list (including me and in my knowledge) who can't get sound with the driver snd-intel8x0 and the kernel 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 provided by debian. We definitly should send a bug report...

Fellow the advice : change your kernel : others work *out of the box*. (i'm using 2.6.13 from kernel.org)

Regards,
Yannick

quote from this list :
"Hi Yannick,

I ripped out the 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 and reinstalled as 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 and
now alsa works perfectly. I just had to run alsaconf and the driver
installed straight away and there is sound. Perhaps there really is a
problem with 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8.
Cheers,
Jonathan"

It seems that that driver works in 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 provided by debian but not in 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8, but i have not this test by myself... and several people repport problem with 2.6.11 from debian. So you can maybe try a *downgrade* your kernel if you can to test the theory ;) (but 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 is no more availaible)

Regards,
Yannick

--
WWW: http://dean.bong.com.au  LAN: http://www.bong.com.au