Re: SID and the Benq DW1640

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 04:59:46PM -0600, Bill Brown wrote:
> I recently purchased a Benq DW 1640 DVD writer.  Here is a review of it:
> http://www.extrememhz.com/dw1640-p1.shtml
>
> I'm running Debian SID with updates, and linux-image-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8
>
> After not being able to read/burn various DVD-R[W] media (CD-R worked
> ok), I noticed this in the dmesg:
>
> amd64-2:~# dmesg | grep ^hdb
> hdb: BENQ DVD DD DW1640, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdb: DMA disabled
> hdb: ATAPI reset complete
> hdb: ATAPI 94X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
>
> It appears that SID only recognizes the device as a DVD-R and not as the
> DVD RW DL writer that it is.

It doesn't matter what the kernel thinks it is.  It matters what the dvd
writing software things.

> The status timeout is (I believe) because I had a blank DVD+RW disc in
> the device.
>
> It shows up properly when I use the ATAPI argument with dvderecord -scanbus:
>
> amd64-2:~# dvdrecord -s -scanbus -dev=ATAPI
> dvdrtools v0.1.5
> Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <bero@arklinux.org>
> dvdrtools patched by Julien Delange for Debian
> Note that you have to reports bug to the debian maintainer
> Please ask Debian for support, and not ask the original author
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> under
> the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
> Software
> Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

dvdrecord is useless.  use growisofs grom dvd+rw-tools instead.  Simpler
to use, supported, works, etc.

ie:
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J -R somefiles
growisofs -M /dev/dvd -J -R filestoappend
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=someimage.iso

For cd burning use cdrecord or cdrdao.