major stability problems since 2.6.12 upgrade

I've been having some major stability problems with my system since I
upgraded to 2.6.12 (running Sid). I would have an occasional crash
before, but I am hardly able to keep the system up for an hour at a time
now.

I get an occasional Kernel OOPS, which usually foretells an impending
crash. The crash usually shows a Kernel... "eep!", "eek!" or something
along those lines which says that it is not syncing and it is killing
init. At this point I have to resort to Alt+SysRq. Every once in a while
the lock is so hard that I have to actually push the reset button. The
error that I most often see mentions a problem in lib/radix-tree.c in
the kernel.

What's interesting here is that I have a 32-bit install on the same
drive and I share most of the same partitions between installations.
(/home, /tmp, and some misc storage partitions are all shared) When I
boot into the 32-bit system, everything works just fine.

The amd64 system, however, is very unstable. Most of the time the
crashes happen during disk access. Not necessarily HEAVY disk access,
just disk access. I believe that the problem might possibly be with my
RAID drivers. (I'm running a 7000-series 3ware board) but Googling for
all sorts of combinations has turned up nothing so far.

Any suggestions on what to look at, or where to go from here would be
greatly appreciated. I would downgrade to my previous kernel, but udev
now requires 2.6.12 or later and I haven't been able to find a
relatively recent version of udev that DOESN'T require .12 for amd64
anywhere.
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837