Conflict between genrtc and rtc at boot

I'm running debian-amd64 etch and just upgraded my packages. At
boot-time, the genrtc kernel module loads, but then A message appears
saying that rtc.ko failed to load ("/path/to/rtc.ko: No such device"
is the message). I believe that whatever system handles the loading of
these modules is trying to load both rtc and genrtc. After googling
for this problem on debian (not amd64) I found various links. However
I found no such information for debian-amd64, so I decided to post a
report.

By the way: removing genrtc and modprobing rtc works once the OS is loaded

Thanks,

--Matthew Webber