Disable IPv6 - here is help

Since I have posted a number of questions to this list already, here is some generic help in return:

I just spent many many hours trying to find accurate documentation on disabling IPv6 in Debian. There is lots of documents out there, but for my specific configuration, I couldn't find much. However, I finally was able to disable IPv6. Here's how I did it.

Here is my environment:
Most recent Debian SID - all updates applied
kernel:  linux-image-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8   2.6.12-5

I made 2 changes before I rebooted, so I can't be certain which one (or both?) actually had the effect of disabling ipv6 on boot.

1. vi /etc/sysctl.conf -  add
net.ipv6.conf.eth1.autoconf = 0
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf = 0
net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf = 0
net.ipv6.conf.lo.autoconf = 0

2. vi /etc/modprobe.d/aliases - changed
#alias net-pf-10 ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off
# and added
alias ipv6 off

then ran update-modules

then reboot.

Hope this helps some else, as there seems to be alot of people interested in disabling the ipv6 feature.

Bill