Re: Undo libc6 upgrade in testing

Am Sonntag, 4. September 2005 17:41 schrieb Thomas Steffen:
> From experience it seems that after a release there is always a lot of
> upload activity in Debian (which is good). This breaks things in unstable,
> stalls the transition into testing and sometimes even breaks things in
> testing (which is not so good, but probably inevitable). Therefore you
> should only use "testing" if you want to help testing. In a few month,
> testing will probably stabilise and become more useable.
>
> Absolutely possible. Especially java packages regularly break after libc
> upgrade, but also other binary packages may be affected. Can you be a bit
> more specific concerning your third party packages?

Thank you very much for your reply. I have just now gotten the 3rd party
libraries usable (meaning they will "only" seg-fault when my program
finishes), so I am not in a desperate situation anymore :-)

> The only thing I can recommend is to downgrade to Sarge.

You might be right, and I have already @#§&%"'d myself for upgrading a
"testing" distribution while I need to get work done ;-) But then every two
weeks there is that curiosity... ;-) And I don't want to stay with Sarge's
status for the next 2 years. Please notice, I am not complaining, that
something in testing broke!
I think I will restrict myself to just upgrade, when I don't have work to be
done...

Thanks,
Frank