Re: installer can't find disk

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:44:11PM -0700, michael@etalon.net wrote:
> Here's the output from lspci -n:
> 0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:2770 (rev 02)
> 0000:00:02.0 0300: 8086:2772 (rev 02)
> 0000:00:1b.0 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1c.0 0604: 8086:27d0 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1c.1 0604: 8086:27d2 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:27c8 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:27c9 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:27ca (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1d.3 0c03: 8086:27cb (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:27cc (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev e1)
> 0000:00:1f.0 0601: 8086:27b8 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c0 (rev 01)
> 0000:00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:27da (rev 01)
> 0000:02:00.0 0200: 11ab:4362 (rev 19)
> 0000:03:00.0 0200: 1186:1300 (rev 10)
> 0000:03:07.0 0c00: 104c:8024
>
> The BIOS doesn't really have SATA settings, just settings for
> Integrated Peripherals
> From there I set "On-Chip SATA Mode" to
> Combined
> This gives me "PATA IDE Set to" [Ch.0 Master/Slave]

Those are the SATA settings.  Which modes does it have?

I have VERY bad experience with any combined mode.  Enhanced/Native
works for me.  But I only have an ICH5R south bridge, which has id
8086:24d1 (in native mode at least).

> Therefore on bootup, the POST shows that I have 2 IDE drives.
> If I change the On-Chip SATA Mode to Enhanced or Auto, the POST will
> show no IDE drives, but will show 2 sata drives.
> The GigaByte detailed spec shows:
> Northbridge: Intel 945G express chipset
> Southbridge: Intel ICH7

Hmm, yeah the ICH7 is rather new.

It is listed in sata_piix in 2.6.12, so perhaps doing 'modprobe
sata_piix' on console2 with the 2.6.12 install image would actually find
it in native mode.  The discover data is not changed in my 2.6.12 image
so it won't auto detect any of the new hardware that it can actually
run, but at least the drivers are present.

Otherwise ide-generic is likely to be running it in combined mode and
that would give about 3M/s.

> Further, I installed hdparm and ran hdparm -t /dev/hdc
> which resulted in a 3 MB/sec read test.
> Quite bad.
> So, it would be nice to get these running in proper sata mode.

Certainly would.