Re: installer can't find disk

Quoting Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:

Hmm, yeah the ICH7 is rather new.

It is listed in sata_piix in 2.6.12, so perhaps doing 'modprobe
sata_piix' on console2 with the 2.6.12 install image would actually find
it in native mode.  The discover data is not changed in my 2.6.12 image
so it won't auto detect any of the new hardware that it can actually
run, but at least the drivers are present.

You are the man!!!
I ran your custom iso 2.6.12 AMD64 Sarge and went to the second
console. I didnt' see a sata_piix module, but I ran
modprobe ata_piix
I then went back to the installer console and re-detected hardware.
This time it found my sata drives.
Note: This time I set my BIOS back to defaults and left them out of the IDE area.

I finished the install, and now I have the proper /dev/sda device and not /dev/hda.
I quickly slapped in hdparm to do a minor read test.
It showed 61 MB/sec disk reads.
Sweeeeeeeeet,

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,