Re: ia32-libs is a joke !

Ernest jw ter Kuile wrote:

>This package is huge !
>
>Is there a good reason it combines so many 32bits libraries from so many (x86)
>Debian packages ?
>
>Is there going to be a different ia32-libs package to download each time one
>of it's many elements is upgraded in debian 32 ? (which could be a daily
>happenning) It uses 27 MByte !
>
>why not several subsets ? remove everything X to start with.
>
>anybody : is there an alternative ?
>
>Ernest.

There's a package called amd64-archive (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/07/msg00663.html ) which
appears to provide roughly the same functionality as ia32-libs (limited
32bit compatability without a chroot) while allowing more flexibility in
installing and removing packages.  I haven't tried it but others on this
list have had success with it.

-- Alexander Rapp