kde remote desktop (krfb & krdc) under amd64: anyone using it successfully ?

I have tried to get this working in amd64.  I am running identically to the setup on my i386, but it seems to misbehave.  In particular, I set up the server to allow uninvited guests at port 5900 with a password.  Then on the client, I attempt to connect.  It does through the authenticate step and then on to ask for the password.  After I enter the password, the authenticate step comes back up without opening the remote desktop.  At that point, it is completely dis-functional.

Anyone else got this working ?  If so, what is the trick here ?

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory