Re: compiling module nvidia

Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:

Jo Shields <Jo.Shields@comlab.ox.ac.uk> writes:

Andreas Richter wrote:

Am Dienstag, 9. August 2005 19:18 schrieb mondrillo:

Hello amd64's list

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the amd64 plataform, and I'm triying to compile a
nVidia [GeForce FX 5200].

I have trying the method related in
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

download the newest driver from http://www.nvidia.com and run the
installer as root. It compiles a kernel module and install all
necessary files into the right directories. It works here perfectly.

no no NO NO NO NO NO _NO_ _NO_

nvidia-installer _WILL_ break your installation. Maybe not today,
maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life.

PLEASE, NEVER use nvidia-installer on any distribution with a non-crap
package manager.

1) apt-get install build-essential module-assistant

2) check the gcc version used to compile your kernel (cat
/proc/version)

3) if neccessary, install it and set the CC environment variable (this
is definitely going to be gcc-3.4 or gcc-4.0)

4) m-a a-i nvidia

5) modprobe nvidia, and add "nvidia" to the end of /etc/modules
Is this necessary? I didn't do that and everything works fine.

nvidia-installer overwrites files managed by dpkg for shits 'n' giggles.

If (when) your X packages are next updated, that leaves your nvidia installation messed up and non-functional. If subsequently you run "nvidia-installer --uninstall", your X installation is more or less dead, unless you manually reinstall all X-related packages by hand.

Installing arbitrary crap over dpkg-managed files is BAD practice with Debian.

--Jo Shields