Re: Mounting 32 bit-created XFS on AMD64: Bad???

On 8/20/05, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it the case that XFS on IA-32 doesn't play well with XFS on AMD64?

XFS works perfectly fine on AMD64, and the file system itself is fully
compatible. However, the log file format is not, so you cannot recover
an XFS filesystem from a crashed 32bit kernel using a 64bit kernel and
vice versa.

> Irritating, if so...   (Means I can't get at /home until I take the
> drive in to the office on Monday...)

Even more irritating that the bug is known for a long time, but nobody
cares to fix it. I reported it to SGI, maybe you have contacts to the
Linux kernel maintainers? I have no idea how difficult it would be to
fix, but it should at least be documented.

I am waiting for ReiserFS 4 to stabilise, and see whether it lives up
to a least some of the hype :-)

Thomas