Re: mysql broken by apt-get

I recently (yesterday) did an apt-get dist-upgrade which upgraded a
ton of stuff. After that I discovered that my web site was down. I
tracked it down to a problem with mysql. MySQL reports that

% Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

After doing some reading online I did

% apt-get install mysql-server-4.1

I can't remember anything about how I installed mysql previously, but
I *think* I did it manually (without apt-get). I have a symlink in
/usr/local/mysql pointing to:

mysql-standard-4.0.22-unknown-linux-x86_64-glibc23

The dates on these files are all from 2004. But in /usr/bin/ I have a
lot of mysql* files dated  yesterday.

So right now, i can't log into mysql from the command line, my web
site (mambo) doesn't work (because of mysql it seems), myphpadmin
doesn't work. I assume that someone mysql got fs*ked when I did the
big apt-get dist-upgrade. Can anyone shed some light on what has
happened and how to get thing back to normal? I am not all that good
with mysql and have been bashing my head against this all night
without success.

Craig

Try this:

Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf