Re: nvidia_drv in lib64 folder

Rupert Heesom wrote:

Adam Majer wrote:

packages.debian.org/nvidia-glx

Now, there is no Amd64 binary packages in experimental, so, grab the
sources (see page above)

cd /tmp
 then for each of the above,
wget <URL>

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667.orig.tar.gz http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.diff.gz

Then do

dpkg-source -x nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
cd nvidia-graphics-drivers*
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
cd ..

and you have ALL of the debs ready to install. You'll have to build your
own nvidia kernel module (as always) after installing the
nvidia-kernel-source package, but that is really not a problem.
I came across this thread when looking for an nvidia solution myself.

I'm having problems installing all the relevant deb files via apt, or even via dpkg.
Problem is that dependancies are not available, so both methods fail.
I've managed to download a few deb files manually but dependancy problems on installation.
The files  I have are:

nvidia-glx_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb
nvidia-glx-dev_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb
nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb

When trying to run "apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source"

Use dpkg to install them. apt only installs from its sources, not files,

dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb

You will also need to build the nvidia kernel module from the nvidia-kernel-source package. There are documentation on how to do that in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian (I think, I'm going from memory here). You need your current kernel headers installed otherwise the compile of the nvidia-kernel driver will fail. Just read the readme. After you compile the nvidia kernel module, install it with dpkg

dpkg -i <kernel-module-deb-goes-here>

And now you should be able to install the rest of the nvidia stuff,

dpkg -i nvidia-glx_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb

You can also add the -dev package in there, but you probably don't need it.

Hope this helps,
- Adam