Re: nvidia_drv in lib64 folder

Zachary Rizer wrote:

>--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
>wrote:
>

>>Why do it the dirty way
>>when the proper way
>>exists and is rather easy.
>>

>It "exists" in experimental.  sid's nvidia packages,
>otoh, have been stale since May.  That's unacceptable.
> And, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's because all
>of the nvidia packages were removed from Debian
>because of the removal of non-free?  Unless I had that
>wrong, but that was a matter of discussion months back.

1. Non-free was never removed from Debian
2. You can get packages not on your mirror from
   packages.debian.org/<package_name>

so,

packages.debian.org/nvidia-glx

Now, there is no Amd64 binary packages in experimental, so, grab the
sources (see page above)

cd /tmp
  then for each of the above,
wget <URL>

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.diff.gz

Then do

dpkg-source -x nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
cd nvidia-graphics-drivers*
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
cd ..

and you have ALL of the debs ready to install. You'll have to build your
own nvidia kernel module (as always) after installing the
nvidia-kernel-source package, but that is really not a problem.

Hell of a lot less messy than using the nvidia installer which messes up
virtually the entire Xorg installation.

- Adam