Re: command line only run level?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:01:04PM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I am planning on setting up a headless file server using debian on an
> AMD64 system. I just realized that (unlike other distros I have used)
> Debian doesn't have a default run level for command line only (no GUI
> interface). Why is this?

We don't configure the runlevels. The local administrator may customise
them if they wish.

> My question is how to set up Debian so that I DO have init 3 being
> command line only?

Three options:

1. Don't install an X server. It isn't required, and then it won't start
   in any run-level.

2. Don't install ?dm, so it won't start in any run level. The X server
   by itself only starts when run by ?dm or startx etc.

3. Stop ?dm from starting in runlevel 3 by removing the link
   /etc/rc3.d/S99?dm. Better, rename the S99?dm link to K99?dm so that
   the display manager is stopped when you switch to that level.

BTW the default runlevel is 2 on Debian, not 3.

Hamish