Re: nvidia driver ( GeForce FX 5500 gives 10fps)

On 8/16/05, Michal Hajek <hajek1@karlov.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> If I run setiathome and glxgears at the same time, I get 10 fps. But if
> I kill setiathome and run only glxgears, fps immediately jums on
> 2500 or even 4000 at times.

It could be a scheduling issue. I assume that every frame needs a
context switch between your application and the X server. This is very
likely caused by a command sent to the X11 server, and the application
waits for the result before the next frame is painted.

Of course the X server cannot service this command unless it is
running, which requires the application to be put on hold. But since
setiathome is also running, it might get a slice of CPU time in
between, which is usually around 20ms, but could be longer. This is a
known problem of the UNIX scheduler, and the best solution so far
seems to adjust the priorities or to go multi processor.

I would try to renice setiathome to a lower priority, and see whether
it makes a difference. Some distributions also run the X server with a
higher priority (-5) to help a bit.

Thomas