Re: Problem with locale in a 32bit chroot

Sylvain Archenault wrote:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = "fr_FR:fr:en_GB:en",
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "fr_FR@euro"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

This is a very common indication that you have set your LANG variable
to a locale that is not installed on your system.  You have two
options to remove this error message.

* Change the LANG variable to a supported locale.  Try "C" (aka
  "POSIX") which is always installed to verify.

* Install the locale that you want.

    dpkg-reconfigure locales

  Select the locales that you wish to have installed and configure
  them for your system.

> Then i have something wrong with my keyboard, in openoffice e.g, i can't
> make  ü or î because the key ^ seems to not be recognized. I don't know
> where i can't configure it.

Programs use the locale setting and data for this purpose.  If you do
not have the proper locale data installed and configured, and the error
messages you posted indicate that you don't, then that is expected.
You will also need an appropriate set of iso10646 fonts installed.

I suggest selecting a UTF-8 locale.  Perhaps fr_FR.UTF-8 would be a
good choice for you?

Bob