    <mailto:lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Why do it the dirty way
    >>when the proper way
    >>exists and is rather easy.
    >>

    >It "exists" in experimental.  sid's nvidia packages,
    >otoh, have been stale since May.  That's unacceptable.
    > And, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's because all
    >of the nvidia packages were removed from Debian
    >because of the removal of non-free?  Unless I had that
    >wrong, but that was a matter of discussion months back.

    1. Non-free was never removed from Debian
    2. You can get packages not on your mirror from
       packages.debian.org/ <http://packages.debian.org/><package_name>

    so,

    packages.debian.org/nvidia-glx <http://packages.debian.org/nvidia-glx>

    Now, there is no Amd64 binary packages in experimental, so, grab the
    sources (see page above)

    cd /tmp
      then for each of the above,
    wget <URL>

    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667.orig.tar.gz
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.diff.gz

    Then do

    dpkg-source -x nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
    cd nvidia-graphics-drivers*
    fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
    cd ..

    and you have ALL of the debs ready to install. You'll have to
    build your
    own nvidia kernel module (as always) after installing the
    nvidia-kernel-source package, but that is really not a problem.

    Hell of a lot less messy than using the nvidia installer which
    messes up
    virtually the entire Xorg installation.

    - Adam

I'm not sure how it works, but Kanotix has a built in script to install nVidia drivers...

I just typed:

install-nvidia-debian.sh

and it did all the work for me. Unfortunately, I'm in windows right now so I'm not sure on the contents of the script, but my other boot option is Kanotix 64 bit with kernel 2.6.11 for AMD64. The only thing it didn't do is configure TwinView for dual monitor support. That's an issue I'm still trying to work out. Kanotix is based on SID, but I THINK the script pulls the nvidia files from nvidia, not a debian repository. (from what I saw watching it install, that's where it seemed to download them from)

~Jon

Kanotix is designed around the "apt? what's apt?" concept. I've had words with the distro's creator before and he Just Doesn't Get It.

The nvidia (and ati) scripts:

* wget the latest installers from the GPU manufacturer
* extract them
* spread filth all over /usr, replacing anything troublesome that gets in the way
* make some kernel modules, and manually put them in places

The sad thing is, nvidia-installer ALREADY has this - but at least includes an --uninstall option

--Jo Shields