Re: Compaq R4000

On Thursday 11 August 2005 15:44, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> /bin/sh: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-1-k7/scripts/gcc-version.sh: No such
> fil or directory
> make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-1-k7'
>   CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/nvidia-agp.o
> /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/nvidia-agp.c:57: error: static
> declaration of '_fgl_agp_try_unsupported' follows non-static declaration
> /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agp_backend.h:92: error: previous
> declaration of '__fgl_agp_try_unsupported' was here
> make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/nvideia-agp.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [kmod_muild] Error 2
> build failed with return value 2
>
> I upgraded to 2.6.12 kernel thinking that would help the hardware clock
> issue but it hasn't.  I tried the "no_timer_check" parameter, and that
> didn't help either.
>
> --
>
> See Ya'
> Howard Coles Jr.
> John 3:16!

Chances are you have some obscure file missing which is in a -dev package
somewhere.

In the Bad Old Days, when processor power was at a premium, Linux distributors
began distributing ready-compiled packages, which just required the files
copying into the destination directories  {as `make install` does}.  Disk
space was also at a premium then, so certain files that were generated during
compilation of a package, which were not necessary for the day-to-day running
of the package  {but which might be required later, when compiling other
dependent packages from source}  would be separated out into a -dev {for
development}  package.

This habit has persisted long beyond any technical justification.

When compiling a kernel module from source -- or patching a precompiled
closed-source, binary-only kernel module to work with your existing kernel --
you need the header files which are part of the kernel source.

I personally have never had any joy with kernel-headers-* packages.  Once I
compiled my own kernel, using sources obtained from kernel.org, all my
problems vanished.  Debian makes it easy to compile your own kernel.  There
is a package called "kernel-package" which generates a .deb file you can
install.  You also need another package  {libncurses5-dev, I think}  for
`make menuconfig` to work.

--
AJS