Re: MD5Sum mismatches/Downgrade to Sarge

Jens Vogel wrote:
> Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/pool/main/p/perlftlib/fttools_1.2-14_all.deb
>  MD5Sum mismatch
> Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/pool/main/x/xprint/xprt-xprintorg_0.1.0.alpha1-10_all.deb
>  MD5Sum mismatch

This really seems like a mirror problem to me.  The error means that
the md5sum in the Packages file did not match the actual md5sum of the
downloaded file.

To debug this I would look at the Packages file directly and observe
the filename and md5sum.  Then download the deb manually and check the
md5sum.  If they don't match and you checked everything yourself then
you know the depot is messed up.  If they do match then the problem is
in your userland programs somewhere.

It is relatively easy to get the data you need from your cache.  Here
is an example somewhat using the tools supplied with Debian (meaning
not really doing them all manually) but probably good enough.

  apt-cache show fttools | grep MD5sum
  MD5sum: 573d79974eb46703a26c7fb7bcb0f21f

  aptitude download fttools

  md5sum fttools_1.2-14_all.deb
  573d79974eb46703a26c7fb7bcb0f21f  fttools_1.2-14_all.deb

I would also suggest selecting a different mirror and running apt-get
clean again.  A new file may have snuck into the cache with a bad
md5sum as known by the currently selected mirror.

Bob