Re: powernow-k8 woes -- need help diagnosing intermittent failure

Hi John,

> I use powernowd for governing, and for testing have a cron job which
> builds the Debian python2.4 package from source (via pdebuild) every 30
> minutes.  powernowd governs according to system load, and this test has
> the effect of causing frequent power transitions.  Usually the problem
> occurs within 2 hours.
>
> If you enable the cpufreq_stats driver in the kernel, you can see a
> count of transitions at
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table.

thank you for this tip. i'm now using this.

> Thanks for giving this a try.  Please let me know how it goes.

Ok, i've created a cron job that builds emovix every  30mins.
I've tested that it provokes a switch from 1.001GHz 1.1V to 1.8GHz 1.5V.

So far, 10 switches have occured, still no problem.
I'll let it go at least a day and come back to you.

-Pascal
PS: Does the machine freeze upon failure? i don't have physical access
to the box until  i go back to montreal (on the 10th).
--
XBGM# (http://xbgm.sf.net)
MoviXMaker-2 (http://sv.gnu.org/projects/movixmaker)