Re: Appropriate arch/kernel for a Dell Precision 380?

On 7/28/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:01:22AM -0700, Meistro Master wrote:
> > I've got a Dell Precision 380 which uses a Pentium Extreme Edition
> > (Smithfield). This is the dual-core, hyperthreaded version of the
> > Pentium D.
> >
> > I'm trying to determine the best Debian version and kernel to use.
> > Should I be using the the AMD64 or the Pure64 port or something else?
> > Also, from what I've read, it sounds like the only kernel version that
> > supports hyperthreading is 2.6.12. If that's the case, then will I
> > need to dip into Sid to use the ` linux-image-2.6.12-1-em64t-p4`
> > kernel version? Is there another packaged version that might work
> > better?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions. I've not worked with a 64-bit arch before
> > and the information out there is hit-and-miss.
>
> hyperthreading has been supported since 2.4.19 or 20 as far as I recall.
> Explicit knowledge of the layout and association of dual core chips on
> the other hand I believe is new in 2.6.12.  Earlier kernels may still
> recognize it as two cpu (each with hyperthreading) but may not do the
> optimal thing for scheduling on a dual core machine.
>
> You would certainly need the -smp version of the kernel if you want to
> take advantage of either of dual core and hyperthreading.
>
> Len Sorensen

Hmmm... well so far I can't even get the installer to work. It hangs
on the language selection screen (I tried the Ubuntu AMD64 port as
well, and it, not surprisingly, hangs at the same point).

I've tried just about every combination of boot parameters, with no
luck. Should I just be using the i386 installer and go with a EM64T
kernel instead?