Appropriate arch/kernel for a Dell Precision 380?

Hello,

I've got a Dell Precision 380 which uses a Pentium Extreme Edition
(Smithfield). This is the dual-core, hyperthreaded version of the
Pentium D.

I'm trying to determine the best Debian version and kernel to use.
Should I be using the the AMD64 or the Pure64 port or something else?
Also, from what I've read, it sounds like the only kernel version that
supports hyperthreading is 2.6.12. If that's the case, then will I
need to dip into Sid to use the ` linux-image-2.6.12-1-em64t-p4`
kernel version? Is there another packaged version that might work
better?

Thanks for any suggestions. I've not worked with a 64-bit arch before
and the information out there is hit-and-miss.

--maestro