Re: burn cd/dvd: permission /dev/sg0 denied

On 22 Jul 2005, antonio giulio wrote:
> cdrecord dev=help returns:
> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.11-9-amd64-k8
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
> Supported SCSI transports for this platform:

	As a very long time cdrecord-prodvd user, I would also
suggest switching to growisofs in the dvd+rw-tools package for
burning DVD's in the future.  The developer of cdrecord and the
Linux kernel developers seem to have issues most of the time and
in my experience thus far, growisofs just works.  It handles both
+ and - media at this point, so don't let the name fool you.

	It's more or less completely non-intuitive that growisofs
would be the replacement to cdrecord-prodvd, but there it is.
For what it's worth, I still use cdrecord (non-prodvd) for
burning normal CD's, but it's so rare that I ever burn CD's at
all anymore anyway.

	And of course, what everyone else said about using ATA
instead of ide-scsi at this point.  You can just pass /dev/dvd or
/dev/hdc or whatever directly to growisofs without the need for
the SCSI emulation layer.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
4475 Carter Creek Parkway                           nipsy@bitgnome.net

---begin random quote of the moment---
Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?
----end random quote of the moment----