Re: Differences between -amd64 and -pure64 - are there any right now?

mike <mike503@gmail.com> writes:

> Quick question, one which may have been asked before.
>
> What is the difference between debian-amd64 and debian-pure64? Just
> that pure64 has absolutely no 32-bit compatibility?
>
> I replaced the "amd64" with "pure64" in my apt sources
>
> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-pure64/ sarge-proposed-updates main
> contrib non-free
> deb-src http://amd64.debian.net/debian-pure64/ sarge-proposed-updates
> main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-pure64/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://amd64.debian.net/debian-pure64/ stable main contrib non-free
>
> and I ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade - and
> nothing needs updating. Is there a difference in the apt archives now
> between the two? Or am I missing something here?
>
> I'm running debian-amd64 sarge right now.
>
> TIA.

The distinction between debian-amd64 and debian-pure64 was the source
for architecture independend packages. Debian-amd64 was with original
Debian packages while debian-pure64 with packages compiled on the
amd64 build itself.

Debian-pure64 was droped when we moved the archive to the new host and
in preparation of the stable release. Except for at the start of the
port there is no value in building our own architecture independent
packages so we stoped wasting buildd time and traffic. For everyone
not following the announce mails of the move we created a link:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 katie   debadmin      6 May  6 00:25 debian-pure64 -> debian

debian-amd64 and debian-pure64 point to exactly the same.

I recomment running "apt-setup" and picking a local mirror or
switching back to debian-amd64 or directly debian. The future of the
debian-pure64 link is uncertain, it might just disapear one day.

MfG
        Goswin